SPARK for German, a joint project of the American Association of Teachers of German (AATG) and the Goethe-Institut, provides professional development for future German instructors and enables students across the United States to start learning German at an early age. SPARK offers a playful approach to German lessons in after school programs—providing early access to language instruction and creating opportunities for students to learn German into advanced levels. SPARK’s long-term goal is to increase demand and build capacity to integrate German into the regular curriculum in immersion, elementary, middle, and high school programs.
- Engage with German and the cultures of the German-speaking world in a student-friendly manner
- Foster collaboration between teachers and learners of German across K-16 and work with the community at large
- Promote diversity and inclusion through high-quality after school programs that connect language learning and teaching with a range of contemporary issues
- Spark interest in German and the cultures of the German-speaking world
- Strengthen existing German programs and build new German programs
- Increase the supply and demand of well qualified German teachers